MSU Extension in Roosevelt County
• 1 cup flour
• 1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, uncooked
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup oil
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup frozen blueberries
• 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1) Preheat oven to 425°.
2) Combine flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3) Combine buttermilk, 1/2 cup brown sugar, oil and egg in a medium bowl.
4) Add to the flour mixture, mixing just until moist.
5) Fold in blueberries.
6) Fill paper lined cups 2/3 full with batter;
sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
7) Bake 20-25 minutes or until done.
YIELD: 12 muffins
Tips and substitutions:
• If you don’t have buttermilk on hand when you need it for baking, use this easy substitute: For each cup of buttermilk,
place one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add enough cold milk to equal one cup; stir and let stand for five minutes before using.
• Substitute any fresh or frozen berries, including Montana huckleberries, blackberries, or raspberries.
Serving Size: 1 muffin Total Carb: 23 g
Calories: 120 Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Total Fat: 4 g Sodium: 116 mg
Calories from Fat: 27% Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: < 1.0 g Calcium: 34 mg
Trans Fat: 0.0 g Iron: 1.07 mg
Recipe Source Used with permission from:
“The Best of Simply Colorado Cookbook,”
by Colorado Dietetic Association, 2006.
The programs of the MSU Extension Service are available to all people regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Dr. Douglas Steele, Vice Provost and Director, Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717.
Montana State University Extension Service is an ADA/EO/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer and educational outreach provider.