MSU Extension in Roosevelt County
• 1¼ pound boneless beef top sirloin, cut 1 inch thick
• 4 cups assorted fresh vegetables, such as sugar snap peas, broccoli florets, bell pepper strips, and shredded carrots
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• ½ cup prepared stir-fry sauce, preferably sesame ginger flavor
• ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
• 3 cups hot cooked rice
• 2 Tablespoons unsalted dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
1) Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into ¼ inch thick strips.
2) Combine vegetables and 3 Tablespoons water in large nonstick skillet. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove and drain.
3) Heat same pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add ½ of beef and ½ of garlic; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove. Repeat with remaining beef and garlic.
4) Return all beef and vegetables to pan. Add stir-fry sauce and red pepper; heat through. Spoon over rice and serve. Sprinkle with peanuts, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
• Substitute brown rice for white rice, as desired.
• Use any stir-fry sauce you enjoy.
• Try stir-frying the vegetables and beef in low-sodium soy sauce instead of a stir-fry sauce.
• Pre-packaged bags of frozen stir-fry vegetables can be used.
• Involve the kids! Let them choose the vegetables and lend a hand in washing/peeling them (or chopping if age appropriate).
Serving Size: ¼ of recipe Total Carb: 45 g
Calories: 404 Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
Total Fat: 7.0 g Sodium: 321 mg
Saturated Fat: 2.0 g Protein: 38 g
Monounsat. Fat: 3.0 g Iron: 4.2 mg
Reprinted with permission, courtesy of the Beef Checkoff
The programs of the MSU Extension Service are available to all people regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cody Stone, Director of Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717.
Montana State University Extension Service is an ADA/EO/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer and educational outreach provider.