MSU Extension in Roosevelt County
Delightful Waldorf Salad
• 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and medium diced
• 1 large crisp red apple, Montana-grown if possible, cored and medium diced
• 3/4 cup chopped celery
• 3/4 cup dried fruit (Montana cherries, craisins, raisins, blueberries, etc.)
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt, low-fat or nonfat
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios, etc.) PLUS 1/4 cup for garnish
1) Combine the apples, celery, dried fruit, and lemon juice in a bowl.
2) Stir in the yogurt and nuts.
3) Serve in individual bowls or on small plates with a lettuce leaf.
Yield: 6 servings (3/4 cup)
• Substitute chopped red pear - or some red grapes (cut in half) - for the red apple.
• Sweeten the dressing by using low-fat vanilla yogurt instead of plain yogurt.
• Use sunflower seeds rather than nuts - as a garnish and mixed into the salad.
Serving Size: 3/4 cup Total Carb: 28 g
Calories: 181 Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Total Fat: 7 g Sodium: 26 mg
Calories from Fat: 35% Protein: 3.3 g
Saturated Fat: 1.0 g Calcium: 65 mg
Trans Fat: 0.0 g Iron: 0.7 mg
Adapted from Today’s Diet and Nutrition
The programs of the MSU Extension Service are available to all people regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Dr. Douglas Steele, Vice Provost and Director, Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717.
Montana State University Extension Service is an ADA/EO/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer and educational outreach provider.