MSU Extension in Roosevelt County
Terry's Terrific Tortilla Soup
• 4 corn tortillas
• ½ cup onion, chopped
• ½ teaspoon minced garlic or ¼ teaspoon
• 1½ cups boneless chicken breast, diced
• ¼ teaspoon chili powder
• ¼ teaspoon cumin
• 2 cans low sodium chicken broth
• 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies,
• ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese,
YIELD: 4 servings (about 1 cup each)
1) Preheat oven to 400 °F. Cut tortillas into thin
strips. Bake on lighted greased cookie sheet
for 7-8 minutes or until crisp.
2) Meanwhile, chop onion and mince garlic if
using fresh garlic. Dice chicken.
3) Heat a large pot (4 quart) over medium
heat. Spray with cooking oil. Add chicken,
cook and stir 3-4 minutes until cooked. Add
onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook
and stir 2 minutes.
4) Stir in broth, tomatoes, and chilies. Bring
to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10
5) Shred cheese.
6) Place baked tortilla strips in a bowl.
7) Serve soup in bowls. Top with cheese.
To spice up your tortilla soup with some traditional flavors, consider these additions:
• Slice one lime into thick wedges to serve with soup; juice can be squeezed into soup.
• Snip 4 teaspoons cilantro; add to soup when serving.
• Fresh hot peppers can be added to taste, such as Serano, Jalepano, or Habenaro.
Serving Size: 8 oz Total Carb: 19.32 g
Calories: 141 Dietary Fiber: 3.27 g
Total Fat: 2.60 g Sodium: 303 mg
Calories from Fat: 16.5% Protein: 12.35 g
Saturated Fat: 0.48 g Calcium: 14.80 mg
Trans Fat: 0.0 g Iron: 0.82 mg
Recipe Source: Adapted by Terry Egan, Missoula City-County
Health Department from Colleen Hueffed
The programs of the MSU Extension Service are available to all people regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Dr. Douglas Steele, Vice Provost and Director, Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717.
Montana State University Extension Service is an ADA/EO/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer and educational outreach provider.